[R-gui] "GUI locked" with Rcmdr

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun May 18 12:06:45 MEST 2003

Hi all,

I discussed this briefly with John Fox who cannot reproduce it on his RH
system and suggested I raise the issue here to see if anybody else has the
same or similar problem:

- when I lauch the R Commander via 'library(Rcmdr)' in a normal interactive
session, two things happen. I get the R prompt back, but it does not take
any input whatsoever; only CTRL-c breaks this. The Commander GUI appears,
but also refuses to take any input. The window manager cannot close the GUI,
and I have to resort to xkill(1).  This is on Debian "testing" under KDE
3.1.1 with the Debian testing version of R 1.7.0.

- when do   echo "library(Rcmdr)" | R --slave   the Commander starts and
exists.

I fixed both problems in a three-line patch using Peter's usual trick of
adding a global boolean variable, and to tkwait() for it.  John obviously
saw no need for the patch as he cannot reproduce the problem.

So:  anybody else having any weird tcltk / R / window manager interactions?
Any idea what I could tweak or alter?

Cheers, Dirk

--
Don't drink and derive. Alcohol and analysis don't mix.