[R-gui] basic-statistics GUI for R

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue May 13 11:02:55 MEST 2003

Thanks a lot! {finally something I can try on Linux! ;-)}

I think your general concept --- work with one *active dataset*
makes very much sense when a "simple easy GUI" is the goal.

A few notes from playing (on Linux):
- I miss the [Quit] or [Close] option in the [File] menu.

- I'm running with R-patched and seem unable to get a dataset
  from an attached package via the 1st entry of  [File].

  The error message is a bit embarassing (I don't know for whom):

  >> Warning: The use of _ is soon to be removed: you will be warned repeatedly
  >> Warning: The use of _ is soon to be removed: you will be warned repeatedly
  >> Error in parse(file, n, text, prompt) : parse error

- Hence I couldn't try much else but the [Distribution] menu
  which was quite nice.

- I wonder if the  [Data] and [File] menus shouldn't be merged
  or organized differently.
  To play with Rcmdr, I'd want to load a standard dataset, i.e.
  [File] -> [Read data set from attached package].
  But then, the  *list* of available data sets is not available
  there, but from the  [Data] menu only.

- "R CMD check Rcmdr"  (using R-patched on Linux) was ok apart
  from the fact that many files had "wrong permissions", namely
  they had the "x" (execution) flag set -- typical for files
  created in windows.

  To fix permissions for R packages, recently, Tony (Rossini)
  posted a small sh-script to one of the Bioconductor lists --
  which I have slightly improved and attach here.