[R-gui] Re: [R] Feedback about SciViews?

Zed Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Tue Apr 29 19:10:23 MEST 2003

Martin,

I hate to rain on your parade, but being someone who has had to
struggle with R for the last three years, I have to disagree with you
here.  I know you really like R, and I'm sure it is possible to produce
an interface with it, but "possible" is completely different from
"reasonable" when it comes to development.  Statements like your's are
basically what caused people like myself to look outside R for their
development needs.  Rather than saying, "Hey, what are we doing wrong?"
  You wold rather ignore the problem and say, "Idiots.  They should use
R for development."

I think that maybe you should listen to what people have to say about
their experience trying to write these GUIs.  Maybe if you started to
hear things like what Philippe and myself continue to complain about,
and started to fix them, then you might find that even your own
development projects improve.  Basically, start listening to your users
more and don't assume that you can impose your way of doing things on
other people.  A classic example is how the R code insists on checking
to see it is connected to a pty, and if not it aborts on any errors.
Or that R uses jumps to maintain the event loop, but doesn't provide a
convenient way to override this behavior.  Simple things like this
cause others tons of headaches, but are so simple to fix.

I won't go into specific complaints about R as a large scale
development language as I don't think anyone working on R is interested
in hearing them (that's called "industrial autism" BTW).  All I can say
is, if you want people to use R to write their programs, maybe you
should make R behave more like every other scripting language on the
planet.  Take a look at how Python, Perl, Lua, Ruby, Tcl, Java, and
others do things.  Try to find out from people what features of these
languages they like and then try to emulate those features.  I think if
you just adopted a few really simple features from these languages,
you'd improve R tremendously.

Anyway, enjoy your day.

Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/