[R-gui] Re: [R] Feedback about SciViews?

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Tue Apr 29 16:23:30 MEST 2003

Duncan Temple Lang wrote:

>Hi Philippe.

> Can you tell us how you came to these conclusions? I haven't done any
>performance measurements on RGtk or tcltk, but I would be startled if
>there was any discernible difference in their response times for
>callbacks. If there is some other way in which it is slow I'd be very
>happy to look into it. We haven't experienced any problems with it in
>using it in Berkeley for teaching (www.statdocs.org).  And we can use
>S functions as callbacks in GGobi for identifying points, brushing
>regions, etc.

Hmmm, looks like I should include a link to StatDocs in
http://www.r-project.org/GUI! By the way, most links in this site refer to
pages I cannot download. Is this site under construction, or reorganization?

>One issue might be the integration of the event loop and that is
>something quite different from RGtk itself.  If the speed is being
>measured from John Verzani's pmg, you may want to identify whether
>this lack of speed is in the loading of the package, the running of
>the GUI, or the method dispatch in the OOP mechanism.

I apologize. My conclusions were drawn from PMG use, which was my last
experience with RGtk and related packages. Indeed yes, I also use GGobi and
I am pretty happy with its speed and also with its compatibility with
Windows.

>The core gtk library and hence RGtk is windows-compatible and indeed
>there is a binary on the Omegahat web site for RGtk.  What are not
>necessarily windows compatible are the additional libraries such as
>gtkhtml, etc. that use Gnome.  Since some of these widgets are not
>available for Tk, the platform-dependency is a different issue.

... but yet! It is one of the reasons why I was unable to develop SciViews
with Tk.

> So if you have any examples where RGtk is slow, I'd be
>grateful if you could point me at them so I can find out if
>it can be fixed.

> Thanks,
>   D.

Best,