[R-gui] Another R-GUI

A.J. Rossini rossini@u.washington.edu
25 Nov 2002 08:46:40 -0800

>>>>> "philippe" == Philippe Grosjean <phgrosjean@sciviews.org> writes:

    philippe> OK, now I see why we are not in phase: you speak about a dialog box
    philippe> definition file used by the compiler. At this point it is very easy to add
    philippe> other "widgets". It is exactly the same for Visual Basic. On the other hand,
    philippe> I talk about a dialog box specification file that can be used to create a
    philippe> dialog box *at run time*, that is by a compiled program (being written in
    philippe> Delphi, Visual Basic, Java, C, or whatever,...). This is definitively a
    philippe> different matter! Especially if we should be able to implement that dialog
    philippe> box with various languages and different graphical toolkits on all platforms
    philippe> supported by R,... a more difficult but not completelly inaccessible goal.

No it isn't.  Just a matter of translation, for the most part (I'm
thinking about how I'd use either Java (Swing) or R (tcltk or Java) or
Emacs to do this, and it really is more a matter of
translation/construction rather than the activity being different.

How it looks isn't of interest (except that some forms require less
translation -- Duncan's example or XML would be equally annoying (or
easy, depending on how you view additional programming needs to a
project).

--
A.J. Rossini				Rsrch. Asst. Prof. of Biostatistics
U. of Washington Biostatistics		rossini@u.washington.edu