[R--gR] Package for Discrete Bayesian Networks

Mat_1 at gmx.net Mat_1 at gmx.net
Tue Mar 24 15:58:50 CET 2009

All,

I would like to apply Bayesian networks to text-based information. That is, I would like to use Bayesian networks to extract 'sentiment' (say, 'good' vs. 'bad') form unstructured text.

>From the CRAN Task View on gRaphical Models in R it seems that I should use the combination of the two packages deal and gRain (please correct me if I overlooked something). The package deal can work both with discrete and continuous variables. For my project I only need to work with discrete variables. Due to the large amount of data that I potentially have to handle, I am concerned that maybe deal will not run fast enough because it is 'too general' for my purpose.

In this sense, I would like to ask the following: is there an R package that I overlooked and that is tailored towards Bayesian networks with discrete variables?

Many thanks,

Matthias

--
Matthias Buehlmaier