[R-sig-Geo] Question about trasport time calculation

Kunal Bali kun@|@b@||9 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Aug 2 22:06:19 CEST 2022

Hi,

Is it possible to calculate the transport time (of a particle) between 2
coordinates using wind speed and distance?
I know I can't simply apply Velocity = Distance/time over here because
coordinates have different angles (lat, lon).
So, could anyone provide some thoughts on it?

I have some coordinates e.g.

location 1(64.8, -147.7)
location 2(64.8, -149.5)
location 3(66.2, -150.0)

the distance between (2 and 1)  coordinates are ~ 35 km
the distance between (3 and 1)  coordinates are ~ 133 km

the wind speed over (1, 2) coordinates is ~ 6 m/s
the wind speed over (1,3) coordinates is  ~ 2 m/s

So, how much time will be taken by a particle from locations 2 and 3 to
location 1 with the given distance and wind speed?

Thanks
---
Kunal Bali