[R-sig-Geo] Earthdata CMR access

Ben Tupper btupper @end|ng |rom b|ge|ow@org
Wed Apr 13 18:41:13 CEST 2022

Hello,

I am interested in accessing physical oceanography data from PO.DAAC (
https://earthdata.nasa.gov/eosdis/daacs/podaac) from within R using
opendap.  NASA is moving its data offerings to the cloud, and it is
adopting Common Metadata Repositories ("CMR",
https://cmr.earthdata.nasa.gov/search/site/docs/search/api.html) for
searching.  CMR searching is in lieu of searching THREDDS catalogs.

I'm finding the on-ramp to using CMR tricker than I had expected given the
sales pitch behind CMR (or maybe the wheels have come off my car!)  I am
wondering if anyone in this community has waded into using R-based CMR to
access cloud-based geospatial data, and, if so, might be willing to share
some insights or provide guidance?

Regards,
Ben

--