[R-sig-Geo] rgdal retirement

Roger Bivand Roger@B|v@nd @end|ng |rom nhh@no
Tue Sep 21 12:04:56 CEST 2021

On Sun, 19 Sep 2021, Michael Sumner wrote:

> Hi Jean-Luc, if the packages mentioned don't yet cover it, you can get
> ogrInfo and ogrFIDs with a combination of vapour's vapour_read_names()
> (for FID), vapour_geom_summary()  (for FID and type) and
> vapour_layer_info().

In sf you can use the fid_column_name= argument to st_read() to retreive
the FIDs with the geometries, but I think not the FIDs alone. orgInfo grew
over time and became unwieldy, are there specific components that you use?
Might sf::st_read() be modified to report these (and return FIDs) without
reading the data and geometries? Using vapour is of course a good way to
proceed, and very useful for cross-checking (Do rgdal and vapour return
the same values, I hope so, vapour is much cleaner).

> For make_EPSG() it's probably time to hit the proj.db more directly and I'd
> be happy to have a look at that.

Right, RSQLite can handle this quite well, but sometimes the names of
tables and fields in tables change.

Roger