[R-sig-Geo] GRTS sampling - 2-level design

Roger Bivand Roger@B|v@nd @end|ng |rom nhh@no
Thu Oct 7 15:40:44 CEST 2021

On Thu, 7 Oct 2021, John Wilson wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm working on a sampling design using GRTS, but I'm running into a
> logistics problem. The field crew can set 5 nets per day, but only within a
> 5 km stretch, due to travel time constraints. With 10 sampling days, that's
> a total of 50 sites. The overall sampling area is huge, so running a
> regular GRTS design for 50 sites results, of course, in much larger
> distances between sampling points.
>
> Is there a legitimate way to create a 2-level GRTS design, where in step 1
> we choose 10 spatially-balanced sampling points (one "core" point per
> sampling day), and then for each of these "core points", we create a grid
> of 5 sampling points that are constrained to all be within 5 km from each
> other? I can make that happen code-wise, but am not sure what the
> implications on spatial balance are, or if there's a built-in way to do
> this.

Do you have a code example? Are you using BalancedSampling, SDraw or
Spbsampling or packages (probably SDraw)? Have you run any simulations to
try to get a first assessment on the impact of constraining your sample?
Might approach a package author also help?

Roger