[R-sig-Geo] R crashes when reading geopackage files with st_read (sf package) in macOS

Roger Bivand Roger@B|v@nd @end|ng |rom nhh@no
Wed Mar 31 21:07:00 CEST 2021

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021, Manuel Spínola wrote:

> Thank you very much Roger.
>
> I reinstalled the sf and rgdal packages from binaries and the problem
> persisted.

This must be either because you did not remove all of the traces of the
previous attempts. If sf failed, then
https://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_results_sf.html
would show errors for MacOS.

> To install GDAL, PROJ and GEOS i followed the instructions in the sf github
> site.

Please avoid installing the source package unless there is functionality
not provided by the CRAN binary.

> Yes, the problem is with several geopackages files.  I see the problem also
> with st_write when working trying to save a file in geopackage format.

Which other drivers are affected - if only GPKG, then libsqlite3 is the
most likely culprit. However, unless you must have facilities only
available by source install, avoid source installs.

> I can read the files without problem with readOGR.

Installed as the CRAN binary or source?

Roger