[R-sig-Geo] Shiny app for Spatial Econometric classes

Roger Bivand Roger@B|v@nd @end|ng |rom nhh@no
Fri Jul 9 16:30:14 CEST 2021

Returning to the "Tobler" shiny app:

The main serious weakness is the name and the approach. It is not and has
never been the case that "Everything is related to everything else, but
near things are more related than distant things." This is and has always
been an oversimplification, disguising the underlying entitation/support
problem. Are the units of observation appropriate for the scale of the
unobserved spatial process?

Tobler (1970) https://doi.org/10.2307/143141 was published in the same SI
as Olsson (1970) https://doi.org/10.2307/143140 (Olsson precedes Tobler),
but Olsson does grasp the important point that spatial autocorrelation is
not immanent in spatial phenomena, but often is engendered by
inappropriate entitation, by omitted variables and/or inappropriate
functional form. The key quote from Olsson is on p. 228:

"The existence of such autocorrelations makes it tempting to agree with
Tobler (1970, 236 [my interpolation, the original refers to a conference
paper]) that 'everything is related to everything else, but near things
are more related than distant things.' On the other hand, the fact that
the autocorrelations seem to hide systematic specification errors suggests
that the elevation of this statement to the status of 'the first law of
geography' is at best premature. At worst, the statement may represent the
spatial variant of the post hoc fallacy, which would mean  that
coinincidence has been mistaken for a causal relation."

The status of the "first law" is very similar to the belief that John Snow
induced the cause of cholera as water-borne from a map. It may be a good
way of selling GIS, but it isn't accurate; Snow had a strong working
microbiological hypothesis prior to visiting Soho, and the map was
prepared after the Broad street pump was disabled as documentation that
the hypothesis held (see https://doi.org/10.1016/s0140-6736(00)02442-9
Brody et al. 2000).

So the framing of the shiny app is unfortunate, and spatial econometrics
is not a toolbox, rather a way of loooking at mis-specification when space
is involved, I think.

Hope this isn't too critical,

Roger