[R-sig-Geo] Shiny app for Spatial Econometric classes

Rolf Turner r@turner @end|ng |rom @uck|@nd@@c@nz
Thu Jul 8 04:20:08 CEST 2021

On Wed, 7 Jul 2021 18:09:50 -0300
Raphael Saldanha <rfsaldanha using gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> Me and Professor Eduardo Almeida (UFJF, Brazil) are creating an R
> Shiny app for Spatial Econometric classes.

<SNIP>

I hope that you won't find this comment offensive, but I could not
resist sending it to you, since I am rather fanatical (pedantic?) about
correct English usage.

The expression "Me and Professor Eduardo Almeida" is both (a) bad
grammar and (b) bad form.  (a) Instead of the pronoun "Me" (accusative or
objective case) you should use "I" (nominative or subjective case), since
this expression is the subject of the sentence.  (b) It is "bad form"
(it sounds vaguely self-promoting)  to put a first person pronoun before the
names of others to which it is linked.  You should say "Professor
Eduardo Almeida and I are creating ....".

I realise that English is surely a second language for you, and your
English is infinitely better than my non-existent Portuguese.  Your
English is actually quite good, probably better than that of many
native English speakers.  Nevertheless the expression that you use is
not correct and you should strive to avoid such usage.

Again let me express the hope that you won't take offence at this
comment.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--