[R-sig-Geo] Spatial data when the missing mechanism is MNAR (non-ignorable)

Roger Bivand Roger@B|v@nd @end|ng |rom nhh@no
Tue Oct 6 15:23:34 CEST 2020

On Tue, 6 Oct 2020, Amitha Puranik wrote:

> Dear Prof Roger,
>
> This is in continuation to my previous query on spatial data imputation
> with MNAR mechanism. I have gone through the references recommended by you
> and have the following concerns which I request you to address.
>
> 1. The papers by Thomas Suesse, Takafumi Kato suggest likelihood based
> approaches for predicting missing data in simultaneous autoregressive
> models with an assumption of *missing at random* mechanism.
>
> 2. The additional reference provided by you, i.e. 'Missing Data in Wind
> Farm Time Series: Properties and Effect on Forecasts' by Tawn et al.,
> assume *missing not at random* mechanism in an autoregressive framework and
> have applied mean imputation and multiple imputation methods.
>

> I am presently looking for a technique to deal with MNAR in spatially
> autocorrelated data. Would it be reasonable to apply the methods
> recommended by Suesse or Kato in this scenario by ignoring the missing
> mechanism?
>
> From what I understand, using conventional methods that are effective for
> MAR case would produce biased estimates when data is MNAR. Can the approach
> applied by Tawn et al. (i.e. mean imputation or multiple imputation) be
> used on spatial data with MNAR mechanism?

Since probably nobody knows, you may very well need to run simulations in
the settings you need to determine which outcomes correspond to reasonable
practice. Reviewers of you work would probably appreciate your having
explored the robustness of your choice of method. Quite a lot will depend
on the spatial support of your data too.

Roger