[R-sig-Geo] Restricting geographical space for SDM analyses

Howard, Tim G (DEC) t|m@how@rd @end|ng |rom dec@ny@gov
Tue Nov 17 13:23:59 CET 2020

Francisco,
That's right, instead of cropping by longitude and latitude, you'll need to define the model output area by another spatial layer that represents the coastline and the certain distance inland.

To get that (your targeted modeling area), you need a spatial representation of the coastline and then you'll need to create a raster or vector representation of your modeling area based on that.

Hope that helps,
Tim Howard
New York Natural Heritage Program

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 11:44:25 +0000
From: Francisco Borges <franciscoomcborges using gmail.com>
To: R-sig-Geo using r-project.org
Subject: [R-sig-Geo] Restricting geographical space for SDM analyses
        in R

I am conducting SDM analysis in R, and would like to restrict my predictions in the geographical space. I am aware of how to do it by cropping the world space with latitude and longitude, but my case is a little bit trickier.

I want to restrict my analysis to only the coastal area (i.e. from ocean to, let's say a certain distance inland). I have yet to find a solution online to this question, but I am aware that using a shapefile it could work.

I have zero knowledge of GIS, unfortunately, as I understand that this could be one of the solutions.

I appreciate any info or suggestion you can provide me

Best,

*Francisco Borges*

MARE – Marine and Environmental Sciences Centre

Laboratório Marítimo da Guia - Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa

Av. Nossa Senhora do Cabo, 939

2750-374 Cascais, Portugal

Tel: +351 214 869 211