[R-sig-Geo] "spdep": check whether a spatial model fully controls for spatial correlation

Roger Bivand Roger@B|v@nd @end|ng |rom nhh@no
Sat Mar 21 11:07:16 CET 2020

On Sat, 21 Mar 2020, Gary Dong wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have estimated a spatial error model via the "spdep" package. The
> spatial weights are determined based on the inverse distance between an
> observation and its 50 nearest neighbors (knearneigh, k=50). Now I
> wonder if my spatial error model has FULLY controlled for spatial
> autocorrelation in the data. Is there a way to test it? I know I can use
> lm.morantest() to test spatial autocorrelation in residuals from an
> estimated OLS model. But I do not know if there is a similar test for a
> spatial error model. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

You will know that there is a Lagrange Multiplier test for spatial lag
model residuals. There is however no test for the residuals of a spatial
error model. IDW will not help either - the choice of W as a fixed graph
stipulates that you definitely know that it is the way observations relate
to each other. Even PCNM/MESF (spatial filtering with the eigenvectors of
a centred weights matrix) still assumes that the weights matrix is known.

For spatial error models, you should always report the Hausman test.
You can only accept that SEM is not misspecified if it confirms that the
SEM and OLS coefficients are close. Unobserved covariates are a typical
cause of trouble; adding WX (the SDEM, D for Durbin) may help. But if your
phenomena exhibit different scaling in the footprints of their spatial
processes, testing (if a test existed) with the same W wouldn't expose the
problem.

Probably SLX and SDEM are worth exploring, and for SEM and SDEM, reporting
the Hausman test.

There is a literature starting to appear on adaptive spatial weights, some
functionality is in CARBayes.

Hope this helps,

Roger