[R-sig-Geo] New GDAL multi-dimensional array support?

Roger Bivand Roger@B|v@nd @end|ng |rom nhh@no
Sat Jun 27 15:07:03 CEST 2020

On Fri, 26 Jun 2020, H. Joe Lee wrote:

> Hi,
>

>  My name is H. Joe Lee who maintains a rgdal website [0] to help rgdal
> users to access NASA Earthdata easily.
>

>  Recently, GDAL 3.1.0 added a multi-dimensional raster model [1] and two
> new command line interface tools - gdalmdiminfo & gdalmdimtranslate. They
> significantly increase the usability of NASA Earthdata in HDF like MOD35
> product [2] by allowing users to subset and transpose data easily.
>

>  Thus, I'm wondering if rgdal development team can provide functions that
> utilize new GDAL multi-dimensional APIs and tools that support [1] in the
> future release.

As you will have gathered, rgdal is suitable for multiband raster. Other
packages provide array data models. There is no rgdal development team,
only the maintainer (an academic on the verge of retiring). rgdal is in
maintenance mode only, permitting packages using rgdal through raster to
migrate to terra, and packages using rgdal/sp classes to migrate to stars
and friends.

Roger