[R-sig-Geo] rgdal release candidate 1.5-9 rev. 1000 ready for testing

Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal roy@mende|@@ohn @end|ng |rom no@@@gov
Sat Jun 6 17:28:01 CEST 2020

Hi All:

There are some important issues being discussed here about access to new versions of libraries on certain platforms,  but can I add:

1.  Let's keep the discussion civil and factual.  Do a little editing before you send to remove side comments.

2.  Develops/maintainers are almost all volunteers,  it is a lot of work,  and what may seem easy to you can be just one more large piece of work for the maintainer.

3.  Most importantly,  work with the developer to find solutions for things that they can't do.  If there are solutions to getting the new proj and gdal libraries on a Mac,  post how to do that and also how to use them to build rgdal,  sp and sf.   Work with the Mac CRAN maintainer to get the libraries on that machine so that binary builds can be available to users.

Thanks to all for the work that they do.  I think everyone is honestly trying to achieve the same purposes,  but sometimes frustrations can set in.

-Roy

**********************
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn