[R-sig-Geo] rgdal release candidate 1.5-9 rev. 1000 ready for testing

Patrick Schratz p@tr|ck@@chr@tz @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Jun 6 16:28:24 CEST 2020

Roger,

I am sorry for arguing differently so often recently, but if I think
that unfair arguing is going on, I have the feeling to correct this.

First, again I think that stating "I do not have access to this system"
is a weak reason in 2020.
I've said this previously but again: As a developer/maintainer, there is
the implicit burden to set up a dev environment across different
platforms.
CI helps here.
For more detailed testing, local emulation is possible via virtual
machines which also applies to macOS systems (setting up is harder but
not impossible).
Before switching back to macOS a few months ago, I had a virtual machine
of macOS running and used it successfully for dev purposes.

Second: All package managers seek to provide stability and homebrew is
one of the most sophisticated ones out there.
I honestly do not understand the general bashing against package
managers here.

Third: What role does Apple play in all of this? I am not arguing that
they made some decisions that did not necessarily enhance the dev
experience on macOS.
However, I do not see any of these having an effect on the spatial
library stack, especially GDAL and PROJ.

The current situation is that the **main** package manager on macOS,
namely homebrew, has a temporary version situation of GDAL and PROJ that
is (for no clear reason yet) blocked by the client package rgdal.

Users on macOS can however use the formulas of the osgeo4mac
(https://github.com/OSGeo/homebrew-osgeo4mac) tap which comes with PROJ7
and GDAL3 to solve these issues.

```r
brew tap osgeo/osgeo4mac
brew unlink gdal
brew unlink proj

brew install osgeo-gdal
brew install osgeo-proj
brew link osgeo-gdal
brew link osgeo-proj
```

I am well aware that many users of spatial software are not developers
in their every day life and should stick to binaries.
However, there is a group that does source installs and there are CI
checks that rely on proper source installations with the current stack
of the main package managers on a platform.
And exactly this group is blocked right now by blocking the rgdal
installation at all, with a somewhat weak reasoning for this action.

In addition, arguing/ranting about specific platforms with points
unrelated to the current issues is a thing that I absolutely dislike,
getting me started arguing against it.
I also do not like certain platforms and have personal favorites.
However, I always check on all and make sure that everyone gets a
pleasant experience on their platform, even if that's painful for me and
costs a lot of time.

I am well aware that I might not be invited to the next imaginary party
with my arguing here but maybe the discussion can make use of more real
facts again, lower subjective views, and focus on providing support for
everyone, on all platforms, without introducing something like a
"platform racism" with semi-fake news.

Best, Patrick