[R-sig-Geo] Inference of local Gi*

Roger Bivand Roger@B|v@nd @end|ng |rom nhh@no
Mon Apr 27 11:04:30 CEST 2020

On Sat, 25 Apr 2020, Jose Ramon Martinez Batlle wrote:

> Dear Anaïs.
>
> I am sure more experienced members will give you a better answer, but until
> that I will try to help.
>
> 1) If I understood correctly, the spatial objects have 15 000 and 30 000
> points in each case study, respectively. If this is the case, I am afraid
> that nb objects of such large datasets surely would have an impact on the
> system performance when used in subsequent tasks. The best I can suggest is
> to try some sort of spatial binning if possible (e.g. hexbins), but at the
> same time accounting for the modifiable areal unit problem.
>
> 2) The spdep:localG help page states that "For inference, a Bonferroni-type
> test is suggested in the references, where tables of critical values may be
> found". The source mentioned is free access, and can be found here:
>
> Ord, J. K. and Getis, A. 1995 Local spatial autocorrelation statistics:
> distributional issues and an application. Geographical Analysis, 27, 286–306
> https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1538-4632.1995.tb00912.x
>
> Standard measures (critical values) for selected percentiles and number of
> entities, are included in Table 3 of the cited reference. Since the values
> returned from localG are Z-values, you can use them to determine whether
> the critical value chosen is exceeded and thus infer significant local
> spatial association for each entity.

Thanks, José, you are quite correct that false discovery rate problems are
among the main reasons why so-called "hot-spot" analyses may be very
misleading, in appearing to give an inferential basis for apparent map
pattern.

In our survey paper with David Wong referenced on ?localG,
https://doi.org/10.1007/s11749-018-0599-x, we show that the analytical and
bootstrap-based inferences are similar - the normality is related not to
the underlying variable seen globally, but the the local behaviour of the
statistic. For this reason, bootstrap permutation implementations are not
included in spdep, though the code is available if need be. Please
indicate whether users would like this code included for comparative
purposes here or in a github issue on
https://github.com/r-spatial/spdep/issues/.

Further, the LOSH statistic, which is a measure of local spatial
heteroscedasticity building on local G, provides a little insight into the
problems raised for so-called "hot-spot" analyses by variability across
the study area in the behaviour of the variable of interest. If, for
example, the variable of interest is influenced by a background variable
with a spatial pattern, we will probably find "hot-spots" which look like
the omitted background variable on a map.

While local G cannot take residuals of a linear model, local Moran's I can
do so. For local G, we do not have exact case-by-case standard deviates;
we do have these for local Moran's I as discussed in the article with
David Wong, and they very typically reduce strongly the counts of
apparently significant local statistcs even before adjusting p-values for
FDR. Finally, only some local measures can adjust for global
autocorrelation - unadjusted local measures also respond to the presence
of global autocorrelation.

On balance, judicious choice of class intervals in mapping a variable of
interest may prove more helpful than trying to present wobbly inferences
from ESDA.

Hope this isn't too discouraging,

Roger