[R-sig-Geo] Inference of local Gi*

Jose Ramon Martinez Batlle jm@rt|nez19 @end|ng |rom u@@d@edu@do
Sat Apr 25 00:11:31 CEST 2020

Dear Anaïs.

I am sure more experienced members will give you a better answer, but until
that I will try to help.

1) If I understood correctly, the spatial objects have 15 000 and 30 000
points in each case study, respectively. If this is the case, I am afraid
that nb objects of such large datasets surely would have an impact on the
system performance when used in subsequent tasks. The best I can suggest is
to try some sort of spatial binning if possible (e.g. hexbins), but at the
same time accounting for the modifiable areal unit problem.

2) The spdep:localG help page states that "For inference, a Bonferroni-type
test is suggested in the references, where tables of critical values may be
found". The source mentioned is free access, and can be found here:

Ord, J. K. and Getis, A. 1995 Local spatial autocorrelation statistics:
distributional issues and an application. Geographical Analysis, 27, 286–306
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1538-4632.1995.tb00912.x

Standard measures (critical values) for selected percentiles and number of
entities, are included in Table 3 of the cited reference. Since the values
returned from localG are Z-values, you can use them to determine whether
the critical value chosen is exceeded and thus infer significant local
spatial association for each entity.

Kind regards.
José