[R-sig-Geo] Gridding a daily time series in R

Sarah Goslee @@r@h@go@|ee @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Sep 12 18:03:14 CEST 2019

Hi,

Creating the NetCDF file is easy - there are multiple packages to do that.

Everything else you ask about is hard, and not really R questions.

You need to know:

What is the best way to impute missing precipitation data to fit my needs?

What is the best way to grid point-based precipitation data to fit my needs?

Both of these are very complex, and questions better suited to experts
in the field. At the very least, you need to review the copious
existing statistical literature on those topics. Once you have the
theoretical questions answered, the question of "How do I do this in
R?" might be suitable for the list.

But honestly, you are probably better off finding extant gridded data
for your region, rather than trying to do it yourself.

Sarah

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 11:21 AM Cristo Facundo Pérez <crifep using gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear community,
>
> I have a daily time series of precipitation, which I intend to transform it
> into a single NetCDF file of daily precipitation. So, first, I would like
> to explore the best way to impute missing values, grid the daily values of
> the different available weather stations and get daily raster files into a
> .nc format. I have read about different climate/hydrological packages such
> as "hyfo",  "meteoland", "gstat" and "hydroTMS". However, I haven't found a
>  way to do it. I am a beginner in spatial/temporal analysis with R. So, my
> question is *does anybody have experience/document in developing a similar
> task so I can get some ideas?*
>
> My database contains id, date, cod, lon, lat, elev, and precipitation value
> of 41 climate stations for the period 1980-2018. I have NAs values in the
> database. I organised my database in two datasets:
>
> 1. where the first column presents date and the other 50 columns present a
> climate station, while rows present the values/NAs [14245 observations of
> 42 variables].
>
> 2. where the name, long, lat, and elev, are presented in the columns. 4
> columns presenting information of 41 weather stations.
>
> I would appreciate any input, idea or suggestion to find a way out to grid
> the daily time series and get the ".nc" file.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Cristo Facundo Pérez

Sarah Goslee (she/her)
http://www.numberwright.com