[R-sig-Geo] sp/rgdal workflows with PROJ >= 6 and GDAL >= 3

Roger Bivand Roger@B|v@nd @end|ng |rom nhh@no
Sat Nov 23 13:04:17 CET 2019

A description of the status now with regard to a prototype resolution is
online at:

https://rsbivand.github.io/ECS530_h19/ECS530_III.html

I'm planning to stream a talk about this at 09:15-11:00 CET on Tuesday 3
December. I need a volunteer to test the streaming link in advance during
next week. I'm unsure which technology to use for remote participants to
provide feedback.

Contributions/comments welcome!

Roger

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019, Roger Bivand wrote:

> The development version of rgdal on R-Forge is now at rev 894, and is now
> ready for trying out with PROJ6/GDAL3 workflows, and workflows that may
> migrate within 6 months to modern CRS representations. The motivating RFC is
> also updated to cover coordinate operations, the use of prepared
> (pre-searched) coordinate operations, and should be read carefully by anyone
> using rgdal::spTransform(). Note further that rgdal::project() will not be
> adapted for PROJ6, and is effectively deprecated.
>
> I'll be running reverse dependency checks, and may be bugging package
> maintainers. I would really prefer that mainainers of packages using
> spTransform() checked themselves and joined this thread or the associated
> twitter thread: https://twitter.com/RogerBivand/status/1194586193108914177
>
> Be ready for modern PROJ and GDAL, they are already being deployed across
> open source geospatial software, like GRASS, QGIS, pyproj, spatialite etc.
>
> Waiting, hopefully not in vain, for contributions.
>
> Roger
>
> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019, Roger Bivand wrote:
>
>>  And this link explains the CDN proposal for grid distribution:
>>
>>  https://www.spatialys.com/en/crowdfunding/
>>
>>  Roger
>>
>>  On Wed, 13 Nov 2019, Roger Bivand wrote:
>>
>>>   Because PROJ >= 6 and GDAL >= 3 change the way that PROJ strings
>>>   (representations of coordinate reference systems) are handled, steps are
>>>   being taken to find ways to adapt sp/rgdal workflows. A current proposal
>>>   is to store the WKT2_2018 string as a comment to CRS objects as defined
>>>   in
>>>   the sp package.
>>>
>>>   A draft development-in-progress version of rgdal is available at
>>>   https://r-forge.r-project.org/R/?group_id=884, and for sp at
>>>   https://github.com/rsbivand/sp (this version of sp requires rgdal >=
>>>   1.5-1). This adds the WKT comments to CRS objects on reading vector and
>>>   raster data sources, and uses WKT comments if found when writing vector
>>>   and raster objects (or at least does as far as I've checked, possibly
>>>   fragile).
>>>
>>>   An RFC with tersely worked cases for using CRS object comments to carry
>>>   WKT strings but maintaining full backward compatibility is online at
>>>   http://rgdal.r-forge.r-project.org/articles/PROJ6_GDAL3.html.
>>>
>>>   If you have other ideas or concerns about trying to use this mechanism
>>>   for
>>>   sp CRS objects, please contribute at your earliest convenience.
>>>
>>>   http://rgdal.r-forge.r-project.org/reference/list_coordOps.html shows
>>>   the
>>>   beginning of the next step, to query transformation operations to find
>>>   viable coordinate operation pipelines.
>>>
>>>   I'm assuming that the previous behaviour (transform without considering
>>>   accuracy with whatever is to hand) is not viable going forward, and that
>>>   we will need two steps: list coordinate operations between source and
>>>   target CRS (using the WKT comments as better specifications than the
> [...]

Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.
voice: +47 55 95 93 55; e-mail: Roger.Bivand using nhh.no
https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2392-6140