[R-sig-Geo] Question spgwr package - running time gwr()

Roger Bivand Roger@B|v@nd @end|ng |rom nhh@no
Fri May 17 14:20:27 CEST 2019

On Fri, 17 May 2019, Raphael Mesaric via R-sig-Geo wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Is there an option to shorten the running time for the gwr() function,
> similar to the ‚LU‘ method for lagsarlm() in the spdep package? Because
> I have a model with roughly 500’000 observations, and the running time
> at the moment is quite long, respectively it has not yet terminated.

What are you actually doing? Why did you choose GWR? Are you fitting a GWR
with 500K observations, or have you fitted a GWR with many fewer
observations, and are now rendering that fitted model with 500K fit
points? GWR is only for detecting possible non-stationarity or similar
mis-specification in moderately sized data sets. Trying to fit with 500K
gives a dense hat matrix of 500K x 500K, which is imposssible (or were it
possible would be uninformative). Think of 5K as a sensible maximum if GWR
is condidered sensible at all. I would think that finding a bandwidth is
impossible too.

Roger