[R-sig-Geo] Converting a variable's units from gigatons to teratons

Sarah Goslee @@r@h@go@|ee @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Mar 28 17:03:56 CET 2019

ncvar_get() should return a data frame, so just

get2.teratons <- get2 / 1000

Even if it's a higher-dimensional array, that will work.

You could then write it back with ncvar_put(), subject to the data
type of that variable in the NetCDF file.

Sarah

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 11:55 AM rain1290--- via R-sig-Geo
<r-sig-geo using r-project.org> wrote:

> Hi there,
> I am currently working with a variable whose units are expressed in gigatons. However, I would like to convert all of these values in this variable to teratons. Effectively, I would have to somehow have R divide all values (90 values) within the variable by 1000.
> So far, I have read in the variable (called CanESM2) as follows:
> ncfname1 <- "cumulative_emissions_RCP45.nc"
> Model3 <- nc_open(ncfname1)
> get2 <- ncvar_get(Model3, "CanESM2")
> Is there a way to accomplish this conversion?
> Thanks, and any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Sarah Goslee (she/her)
http://www.numberwright.com