[R-sig-Geo] How to get the coordinates (latitude/longitude) of a continent outline?

Zivan Karaman z|v@n@k@r@m@n @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Feb 2 16:07:16 CET 2019

Hello Sohrab,

You can start with country maps, and then merge them in a single polygon.
For example, get the maps as a shape file from here
http://www.maplibrary.org/library/stacks/Africa/Africa_SHP.zip, unzip this
file and run the following R code

library(sp)
library(rgdal)
library(rgeos)
countries <- rgdal::readOGR(dsn = ".", layer = "Africa")
sp::proj4string(countries) <- sp::CRS("+init=epsg:4326")
a <- rgeos::gBuffer(countries, width = 0)
# ignore the warnings
sp::proj4string(a) <- sp::CRS("+init=epsg:4326")
plot(a)
# this produces quite a detailed map with islands, lakes, etc.
# you can simplify it to suit your needs by tuning the tol argument
b <- rgeos::gSimplify(a, tol = 0.1)
plot(b)

Cheers,
Zivan