[R-sig-Geo] Consolidated SRS database/list?

Roger Bivand Roger@Biv@nd @ending from nhh@no
Thu Sep 20 19:01:44 CEST 2018

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018, Vijay Lulla wrote:

> Dear list members,
> A few years ago Roger Bivand posted a discussion (
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2015-August/023204.html ) about
> consolidating SRS definitions into a SQLite database and I am wondering if
> there has been any development along those lines.

Rather than trying this just within R, we're hoping that the GDAL
barn-raising effort:

https://gdalbarn.com/

will take us there and further, and be much better than having a
non-standard implementation.

When that effort is done, we'll be open for ideas about interfacing it
through PROJ and GDAL, which now ship with CSV files that we copy into
Windows and MacOS binary packages (rgdal, sf, lwgeom).

For now, if it helps, rgdal::make_EPSG() reads the EPSG CSV file shipped
with PROJ into the R workspace as a data.frame.

Roger