[R-sig-Geo] Link to [MetaCRS] Common SQLite-based dictionaries for SRS

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sun Aug 2 21:13:21 CEST 2015

A heads up with regard to a discussion taking place on some lists, started
on the low-volume MetaCRS list, and reposted elsewhere by Even Roualt:

http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/proj/2015-August/007196.html

It strikes me that the response by Huw James is very well founded, and
that the data model for a future common dictionary for coordinate
reference systems should permit the optional use of historical CRS. This
is an enduring problem with EPSG codes, which can change with each
release, so making reproducible research harder (especially as the EPSG
CSV files in PROJ.4 and GDAL, and versions in the GeoTiff software, do not
report their versions). I would invite ideas now, to assist in guiding
MetaCRS towards a robust and time-aware dictionary structure with self
declaring versioning.

There is a further question of the proposed use of SQLite as the backend,
as R does not have built-in DB drivers, but has an RSQLite package on
which future CRS handling might have to depend

Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.
voice: +47 55 95 93 55; fax +47 55 95 91 00
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no