[R-sig-Geo] Spatial Downscaling in R

Tomislav Hengl tom.hengl at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 11:52:15 CET 2018

For downscaling, and especially if you work with relatively smooth
surfaces and large rasters, I recommend using gdalwarp cubicspline
technique e.g. (http://www.gdal.org/gdalwarp.html):

gdalwarp input.tif output.tif -r "cubicspline" -tr 250 250 -co
"COMPRESS=DEFLATE"

If you prefer to do it via R command line then either use
system('gdalwarp ...') or consider using
https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/gdalUtils/

SAGA GIS also has few similar options for downscaling
(http://www.saga-gis.org/saga_tool_doc/2.3.0/grid_tools_0.html) and is
efficient with large rasters (it can be easily parallelized).

T. Hengl