[R-sig-Geo] CRAN releases of sp, rgdal and rgeos

Tomislav Hengl tom@hengl @ending from gm@il@com
Tue Jun 19 09:55:22 CEST 2018

Two weeks ago I installed new GDAL 2.3.* from source, then tried
installing rgdal and got the error about GDAL requires C++11. Then I had
to remove everything and reinstall GDAL 2.2. Would love to be able to
start using the newest GDAL inside R as it seems that many things have
been improved
(https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/query?group=status&milestone=2.3.0).
Installing GDAL from source takes >20mins so next time I would like to
be sure that I will not have to remove GDAL.

Can somebody point to a step-by-step guide to install GDAL 2.3.* and
rgdal on ubuntu (now that all packages have been updated)?

Much appreciated!

My session info:

 > library(rgdal)
rgdal: version: 1.2-20, (SVN revision 725)
  Geospatial Data Abstraction Library extensions to R successfully loaded
  Loaded GDAL runtime: GDAL 2.2.2, released 2017/09/15
  Path to GDAL shared files: /usr/share/gdal/2.2
  GDAL binary built with GEOS: TRUE
  Loaded PROJ.4 runtime: Rel. 4.9.2, 08 September 2015, [PJ_VERSION: 492]
  Path to PROJ.4 shared files: (autodetected)
  Linking to sp version: 1.2-7
 > sessionInfo()
R version 3.5.0 (2018-04-23)
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)
Running under: Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS

Matrix products: default
BLAS: /opt/microsoft/ropen/3.5.0/lib64/R/lib/libRblas.so
LAPACK: /opt/microsoft/ropen/3.5.0/lib64/R/lib/libRlapack.so