[R-sig-Geo] CRAN releases of sp, rgdal and rgeos

Roger Bivand Roger@Biv@nd @ending from nhh@no
Tue Jun 19 08:47:32 CEST 2018

On Mon, 18 Jun 2018, MacQueen, Don wrote:

> Success!
>
> This morning I upgraded a Mac to OS 10.13.5 (the so-called High Sierra
> version), then
>
> - Installed R 3.5.0 from CRAN (installed ever 3.3.x)
> - Installed sp 1.3-1, rgdal 1.3-2, rgeos 0.3-28, also sf 0.6-3, from the
>   CRAN binaries that are now available
> - Ran my personal test suite, which exercises the kinds of tasks I
>   perform with those packages
>
> All tests succeeded.

Thanks for reporting - especially on your own test suite. We do what we
can to cover typical use cases, but independent testing in production
settings is reassuring for everybody. We're expecting more PROJ-based
changes later this year and next year, so it is great to have external
test sets to be able to check where any changes in output are coming from.

This is an encouragement to other users whose production depends on R
packages using GDAL, PROJ and/or GEOS to follow this example and keep a
script handy to test your use cases, and a history of output files with
which to compare (diff). We don't worry about changes in the EPSG
versions, but by next year they may be properly anchored too (changes in
PROJ may include reference system definitions with timestamps).

> I forgot to control the order of installation, so I don't know if I
> installed sp first, as advised. But I expect that with the binary
> versions it doesn't matter.

Right, the binary builds use the sp version on the build platform.

Best wishes,

Roger