[R-sig-Geo] [FORGED] Re: using spatialpolygonsdataframe in ppm (or, converting spatialpolygonsdataframe to pixel image or other object useful in ppm)

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Sat Sep 2 12:27:04 CEST 2017

On 02/09/17 19:00, Michael Sumner wrote:

<SNIP>

> It's not clear to me if you need polygons in spatstat or a raster owin
> version of them - admittedly spatstat does allow a combination of the two,

That's not actually true.  The spatstat package allows for observation
windows (objects of class "owin" which are either polygonal (of type
"polygonal") *or* "raster-like" (of type "mask"), consisting of a
pixellation of the bounding box with the pixels having the values TRUE
or FALSE.  There is also type "rectangle" which is conceptually a
special case of "polygonal" but has (obviously?) practical advantages
when it is applicable.

However an "owin" object *cannot* be a combination of polygonal and mask
types.

<SNIP>

cheers,

Rolf Turner