[R-sig-Geo] Spatial clusters with equal number of objects (2)

Tim Keitt tkeitt at utexas.edu
Tue Oct 31 20:17:29 CET 2017

http://www.keittlab.org/

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 5:57 AM, Maurizio Marchi <mauriziomarchi85 at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
> is there an easy way to cluster spatial objects (polygons in my case, a
> grid of 500mx500m cells) with an equal number of objects per cluster?

If you mean maximally compact clusters, that is proven NP complexity, so
you would have to resort to heuristic search or greedy approximations. One
approach is to place points sequentially up to n with each point maximally
distant from all previous points then assign nearest neighbors.

I wonder if igraph has something that would suit the problem?

THK

I tried to attach an example of what I mean but I think the message was