[R-sig-Geo] Distance calculating between points according to a river network

Romine, Jason jason_romine at fws.gov
Wed Jan 25 17:31:50 CET 2017

The gdistance package in R is what you are looking for:

https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/gdistance/gdistance.pdf

https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/gdistance/vignettes/gdistance1.pdf

Best,
Jason

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 5:22 AM, Tristan Bourgeois <
tristan.bourgeois at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Mirza,
>
> Thanks for your quick answer.
>
> Actually I don't want to calculate distance between a point and the next
> downstream one.
> For example, if there are 4 sewage plant on a river and 7 measurment
> stations,I want the distance between each sewage plant and each station.
> (water pollution dispersion calculation).
> So the flow direction is not that important in my case. The difficulty is
> to get the distance between a point and another one following the river
> polyline.
>
> In your case, you can add a raster layer with elevation values ans extract
> the elevation  for each point of your layer.  Then, for each polyline it is
> possible to define a flow direction.
> Hope it will help you.

> > Hi Tristan,
> >
> > I recently had to do something similar (calculating distance to the next
> > downstream point), and I was not able to find a solution with R that
> would
> > deal with the direction of the flow. Perhaps someone who has deeper
> > understanding of packages such as iGraph etc. might be able to find a
> > solution, but I wasn't.
> > I solved the problem with ArcMap, using HydroTools extension, where you
> > need to define a geometric network that has a direction, and then the
> > calculation is pretty straightforward with HydroTools (let me know if you
> > need more info).
> > I would prefer to have a scripted solution in an open-source software,
> but
> > this worked for me in any case. If anyone has a better way for solving
> > this, I would love to see how!
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mirza.
> >

> --
> Tristan Bourgeois

Jason Romine, Ph.D.
Fish and Wildlife Biologist
U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
Mid-Columbia River National Wildlife Refuge Complex
64 Maple St
Burbank, WA 99323
Cell: 509-792-0123
https://www.fws.gov/mcriver/