[R-sig-Geo] Help regarding Autoencoder

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Jan 24 19:11:43 CET 2017

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017, Subir Paul wrote:

> Dear All,
> I was using "SAENET" package for autoencoding.
> I used the following code:
> h=SAENET.train(data[,1:200], n.nodes = c(100, 20), unit.type =
> ("logistic"), lambda = 0.001,
>               beta = 0.0001, rho = 0.01, epsilon = 0.01, optim.method =
> c("BFGS"),
>               rel.tol=sqrt(.Machine$double.eps), max.iterations = 1000)
> But its showing the error:
> Error in optim(par = theta, fn = J.theta, gr = grad.theta.J, method =
> optimizer,  :
>  initial value in 'vmmin' is not finite
>
> Can anyone help me regarding this issue?

Try saying debug(SAENET.train) and stepping through to see what initial
value is being passed to optim for vmmin. It may be an issue with your
input data, or it may be something in the function that makes unmet
assumptions about your data. Running traceback() after such an error
probably will only show that optim is being passed a a non-finite value
(divide by zero, log of zero?). Consider asking the package maintainer,
and if possible provide a small, reproducible example.

Hope this helps,

Roger