[R-sig-Geo] Building a prediction raster when the statistical model was built from sampling units of different sizes

chris english englishchristophera at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 00:29:24 CEST 2016

I have requested another environmental data scientist  to look at this
thread of conversation as he is better versed in your area of science and
my comments may have been ill-informed or confused /confusing or worse,
both.

But now I understand your research interest, likelihood of disease vector
instances (among striped skunks) given land cover. Is the disease rabies or
some other ailment of concern? I just ask because if rabies, there could be
a large, healthy population given proper resources to sustain them, without
necessarily indicating an areal propensity to rabies. Keeping with rabies
though, you might find you are exploring extremes (here meaning very, very
few are disease vectors) as against general additive models, hence lots of
skunks and relatively very few vectors. Combined in some way that I have
yet to think through, GAM and extreme might lead to the environment more
likely to produce vectors.

So, lets throw land cover under the bus for the moment as it is probably
immaterial, same for area, and ask what environmental conditions are more
likely to generate the vectors of interest, whatever the particular disease
condition is. This indeed would be an interesting study.

Chris