[R-sig-Geo] Annoucing the R Shapefile Contest

Bacou, Melanie mel at mbacou.com
Fri Jul 15 10:57:08 CEST 2016

Just chiming in, but I don't see any reason for wrapping `readOGR()` and
`writeOGR()`. For the sake of code portability and readability, the fact
that these 2 functions work for a myriad of vector-based GIS formats is
a great thing. You can skip naming parameters to save typing if that's
an issue:

readOGR("my_folder", "cities")
writeOGR(cities, "my_folder", "cities", "GPKG")
writeOGR(cities, "my_folder", "cities", "ESRI Shapefile")

Also contrary to others I see a benefit to saving an object's geometry
and attributes in 2 separate files, can save I/O operations. Anyone who
works with GeoJSON files knows these can also become very large and
cumbersome. The main problem with shapefiles is the DBF specification
that's a little outdated.

--Mel.