[R-sig-Geo] Annoucing the R Shapefile Contest

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Fri Jul 15 10:32:20 CEST 2016

stachel2 at msu.edu writes:

> I wrote a **very** elementary blog post showing how to use the
> GeoPackage format with R:
> http://jsta.github.io/2016/07/14/geopackage-r.html

This is nice - thanks.

One general problem I see in =contrast to the shape file is it's
simplicity for writing and reading in GeoPackage format: you need the
swiss army knife package rgdal. This works perfectly, don't get me
wrong, but from the user perspective it is much easier to use one
command without having to specify dsn and driver, as you can do with
shapefiles (e.g. in the package maptools).

It would be great if there would be a wrapper package around rgdal to
make the usage of GeoPackage easier. It shouldn't be to difficult just
to put the basic functions into a package (writeGPG(), readGPG(), ...).

I just created a github (https://github.com/rkrug/rGeoPackage) wherer
ideas can be collected for this package.

Please join in and post suggestions for functions and functionality
here or on the github page - I won't have much time before end of August.

Cheers,

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug