[R-sig-Geo] Percentage of forest cover in a set radius for each raster cell

Tim Meehan tmeeha at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 17:20:26 CET 2016

you could check out the focal() function in the raster package:

1) turn your forest layer into a layer of 1 (presence) and 0 (absence)
2) use the function to sum the number of ones within a neighborhood of each
focal cell
3) convert the focal sum to an area
4) divide the area by the total possible area of the buffer

best, tim