[R-sig-Geo] Population-weighted Centroids of Polygons in R

Loïc Dutrieux loic.dutrieux at wur.nl
Sun Feb 21 23:44:28 CET 2016

Hi Sohrab,

I don't think there is a method for weighted centroids specifically.
What if you get the centroid coordinates of each "block" using
gCentroid() and calculate a weighted average of the coordinates of every
centroid?
See an example below assuming your blocks are a
SpatialPolygonsDataFrame. It's quite a simple approach; not sure how
valid it would be with more complex features though (eg: with holes, etc)...

Cheers,
Loïc

library(rgeos)
library(sp)

# Generate SpatialPolygonsDataFrame object (blocks with population data)
cds1 <- rbind(c(-180,-20), c(-160,5), c(-60, 0), c(-160,-60), c(-180,-20))
cds2 <- rbind(c(80,0), c(100,60), c(120,0), c(120,-55), c(80,0))
sp <- spPolygons(cds1, cds2)
spdf <- SpatialPolygonsDataFrame(sp, data.frame(pop = c(25,32)))

# Get centroid of every polygon
centroids <- gCentroid(spdf, byid = TRUE)

# Get a dataframe with coordinates of centroids and weights
df <- cbind(data.frame(centroids), spdf at data)

# SpatialPoints corresponding to Weighted centroid
SpatialPoints(data.frame(x = weighted.mean(df$x, df$pop), y =
weighted.mean(df$y, df$pop)))