[R-sig-Geo] Climate data in R

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Wed Aug 3 01:02:56 CEST 2016

On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 2:34 PM Tom Philippi <tephilippi at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1: Spatial interpolation is non-trivial.  PRISM uses not just distances
> from stations of record, but also topography: elevation for temperatures
> and precipitation and side of the mountain (very important for
> precipitation).  Don't just use the nearest station or inverse-distance
> krige unless you are in a broad flat plain or steppe.  [Sorry, Ed!]  There
> are a couple of raster products for daily data (not just the monthly
> PRISM), but they tend to be available a few weeks after the fact.

We'll probably use PRISM since they've done all the hard work, are
connected with the USDA and are in Oregon (the app is about Oregon
agriculture). I didn't know about PRISM when we started doing the data
collection for the app but I do now! ;-)
--
How many people can stand on the shoulders of a giant before the giant
collapses?