[R-sig-Geo] how to calculate centroid (or centre of gravity) of a population (count data)

Diego Pavon diego.pavonjordan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 13:08:58 CEST 2016

Thanks Marcelino, Rolf and Tiago for your quick responses.

I think that the suggested method by Rolf and Tiago, which is also found in
the link provided by Marcelino works fine with my data. Yes, Rolf, it was
as simple as that :)

So,  I multiplied the X_i and Y_i coordinates of each of the 2000 sites by
the count in each site (C_i) and then divided by the total number of counts
(sum of all counts across all sites).
Tiago had, however, interesting points that I will need to address as well.

Thank you very much for your help.

Best

Diego