[R-sig-Geo] mapview 0.5.0

Tim Appelhans tim.appelhans at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 12:42:02 CEST 2015

Dear all,

I have put some more effort into mapview.
The current version 0.5.0 has some new features which make the whole
experience much more user-friendly.

In a nutshell, changes/additions are as follows:

- mapView() is now also defined for SpatialPixelsDataFrame
- all Spatial * DataFrame methods have gained argument 'zcol' to select
specific columns from the attribute table
- SpatialPointsDataFrame method has gained argument 'radius' to scale
the circles according to another variable
- added viewRGB() to render true-/false-color images of
RatserStacks/Bricks (like raster::plotRGB)
- added viewExtent() to view the extent/bbox of Raster*/Spatial*
objects. This is useful for large objects as only the four corners of
the extent need to be reprojected (using raster::projectExtent)
- defined '+'-method to easily add layers to a leaflet/mapview map or
combine existing maps
- defined class 'mapview' which has two slots
   - @object - a list with all objects that are shown on the map
   - @map - the map
- Raster* methods have gained argument 'maxpixels' to avoid long
rendering times (by default set to 500000 pixels which produces
acceptable times on my machine)
- enhanced leaflet integration so that you can use leaflet maps and add
features using mapview (e.g. '+') or use mapview to create maps and add
functionality provided by leaflet (using e.g. %>%)

As an example, this means that you can now do things like

mapView(meuse.grid, zcol = "soil") + viewExtent(meuse) + meuse

to view all points of meuse plus their extent on top of a raster layer
of meuse.grid$soil

All new functionality is highlighted in detail in the demo at

http://environmentalinformatics-marburg.github.io/web-presentations/20150723_mapView.html
(the .Rmd source of which is now also included as a vignette in the package)

The package repository can be found at
https://github.com/environmentalinformatics-marburg/mapview

To install the package use

library(devtools)
install_github("environmentalinformatics-marburg/mapview")

I hope this update will prove useful for some of you.
Don't hesitate to send me feedback and/or suggestions.

Formal bug reports and feature requests should be filed at
https://github.com/environmentalinformatics-marburg/mapview/issues

Best
Tim

--