[R-sig-Geo] Gstat 'polylines' implemented in R?

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Fri Sep 4 10:50:03 CEST 2015

On 09/04/2015 06:31 AM, Tim Peterson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm keen to use the gstat feature 'polylines' (appendix B in
> http://www.gstat.org/gstat.pdf) to restrict the point sample selection
> to within a polygon. That is, when undertaking localised kriging at a
> grid cell, samples are only used in the estimation if a line between the
> sample and grid cell does not cross a polygon boundary. The polylines
> feature appears to be implemented within the c-code for gstat
> (polygon.c) but I cannot find any means to use it within R-gstat nor any
> mention on lists. Any tips would be most welcome.

That is correct, it has not been interfaced from the R code.

The idea is nice, but if you work with it you see very very much
unwanted features in the interpolated surface: sharp edges that follow
the "shadow" of the polygon, as seen from an observation with an extreme
value. Back then we thought about a work-around for this using distances
measured "around" the obstacles, but that leads to non-positive definite
covariance functions.