[R-sig-Geo] rgdal issues

Chris SUtherland chrissuthy at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 19:58:41 CEST 2015

Hello group,

My abilities:

I use a Linux cluster sometime to parallelize some simulations.  I am not
extremely familiar with linux and there is someone who does the maintenance
of the cluster; I just know how to get R to do the things I need.

My problem:

I recently asked for some packages to be updated, including 'rgda', 'sp' and
'rgeos', and since then, I have trouble executing spatial functions.

Specifically I get the error:

R: GeometryComponentFilter.cpp:35: virtual void
geos::geom::GeometryComponentFilter::filter_ro(const geos::geom::Geometry*):
Assertion `0' failed.

Aborted.

Which kicks me out of R. This happens specifically for gDistance(). I saw
that this issue was discussed early in September and a fix was proposed -
but I'm afraid I didn't really follow how to actually implement the fix or
where exactly to put the missing .dat file.

Anyway, my question is this: does anybody have a workaround for this issue,
specifically some instruction I can pass on to the folks that centrally
maintain our Linux cluster.

Thanks in advance

Chris