[R-sig-Geo] Calculating a path which avoids certain cells entirely, no matter the distance

sharx sharx at ucla.edu
Sun May 17 19:42:30 CEST 2015

Hi all,

I have some data of GPS locations of an animal and want to construct paths
between those coordinates. The goal is to obtain animal movement paths that
the cross the fewest roads possible meaning that the paths would show
animals going far out of their way to avoid roads. Below is an example.
<http://r-sig-geo.2731867.n2.nabble.com/file/n7588265/leastcost-example.png>

Blue points are coordinates. Purple lines are roads. The green line is the
path I would like to generate. The red line is one of the least cost paths I
calculated, which goes through several roads unnecessarily.

Could anyone give me some ideas of how to go about this? I have experimented
with different parameters of resistance/permeability using a transition
matrix and shortestPath() in package gdistance unsuccessfully, which I have
detailed here:
http://r-sig-geo.2731867.n2.nabble.com/Using-gdistance-to-compute-a-least-cost-path-which-avoids-certain-cells-entirely-no-matter-the-distae-td7588118.html

Does anyone have any other ideas of how to go about this?

Thank you! Any help is much appreciated.

Sharon