[R-sig-Geo] Error importing ESRI Shapefile

Alec Friedhoff hrbuilder at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 10 07:20:56 CET 2015

Hi all,
I'm trying to read in a Shapefile using the rgdal library, and am unable to do so.When using the following code, geo <- readOGR("/path/to/layer","layer"),I'm met with the error "Error in stopifnot(is.list(srl)) : infinite label point"
This one has me stumped. My searches haven't yielded any useful information about this error. I suspect there are some bad geometries in the underlying file. I have access to ArcMap and tried running the RepairGeometry_management method of arcpy, but this has no effect.
How can I go about understanding this error and ultimately fixing it?
Many thanks!
-HR