[R-sig-Geo] NetCDF: Unknown file format?

Ziyu Ma paul.ziyu.ma at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 13:45:18 CEST 2015

Dear all,

I tried to use R to open NetCDF file from the ESA's  soil moisture database:
http://www.esa-soilmoisture-cci.org/node/145

I have tried to use the R packages "ncdf" or "RNetCDF", but whenever I
tried to open the file, I have this same error message:

"Error in R_nc_open: NetCDF: Unknown file format"

I'm confused since I think both packages where designed to handle this file
format. Is there some other dependent softwares/packages missing on my
computer? I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and R 3.2.0 64 bit.

The soil moisture database recommends the "ncdf4" package, but the Windows
version of it is no longer available.

Thank you very much.

Cheers,
Ma

Ziyu Ma
PhD Student
Ecoinformatics & Biodiversity,
Department of Bioscience, Aarhus University
Ny Munkegade 114, DK-8000 Aarhus C, Denmark