[R-sig-Geo] Rights to publish data based on Google satellite images in scientific journals?

Tomislav Hengl hengl at spatial-analyst.net
Thu Jul 23 15:28:47 CEST 2015

Hi Hanna,

I am aware of several journal articles where Google data is used in
figures (e.g.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301479708001151#gr2);
take especially a look at: http://www.jstatsoft.org/v63/i04/paper

The Google Geo guidelines say:

"You may print Content from Maps and Earth for personal use and enlarge
it. In all uses where print will be distributed, first be sure to read
our FAQ on applicable product Terms of Service and fair use. Second, all
uses must properly show attribution to both Google and our data
providers. Please see our attribution page for more information... No
explicit permission is required for your print project. We are unable to
sign any letter or contract specifying that your project has our
explicit permission."

My guess is that, as long as you clearly show Google and other (C) signs
you should be fine.

Few times I've tried to upload some plotKML screenshots to Wikimedia
Commons but they have removed them
(https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Copyright_rules_by_subject_matter#Maps_.26_satellite_imagery),
so any screenshot you make with Google data is definitively not in
public domain.

The publisher will be able to tell you more, but as far as I know
companies such as Elsevier even support using web-maps:

http://www.journals.elsevier.com/animal-behaviour/news/google-maps-application-enriches-articles/

But why not use OpenStreetMap for this? See
https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/OpenStreetMap/ and/or
https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/osmar/

OpenStreetMap you can even combine with KML and then embed in websites
etc (see e.g.
http://gsif.isric.org/doku.php?id=wiki:tutorial_plotkml#point_line_polygon_and_gridded_objects).

HTH,

T. Hengl