[R-sig-Geo] Rights to publish data based on Google satellite images in scientific journals?

Hanna Meyer hanna.meyer at geo.uni-marburg.de
Thu Jul 23 14:05:58 CEST 2015

Dear all,

Please excuse that my question is not about R in the first place but I
guess it's still a good place to ask this question.

I downloaded google satellite images via the dismo R package. With the
RGB values of the images I did a land cover classification.

Now I wonder whether I can use the results for a publication in a
scientific journal.
Though a number of publications using the data in a similar way exist,
according to the terms of service of google maps it is not allowed to
produce derived products.
However, if the project falls under the term of "fair use" it might be
possible (http://www.google.com/permissions/geoguidelines.html).
On the google maps API terms of service they highlight that the created
products (https://developers.google.com/maps/terms) must be freely
available which would be the case.

Do you have any experiences about this issue?

Best regards
Hanna

--
Hanna Meyer